Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ian Somerhalder's One Birthday Wish?

Twitter was abuzz this morning with birthday wishes for the one and only "Vampire Diaries" star Ian Somerhalder (who just turned 32!), with fans sending so much love that "Birthday Ian" actually remained a trending topic throughout most of the morning.

We jumped on the phone with the birthday boy while he was on his way to the "TVD" set to film a bathtub scene (um, yeah, more on that later), and asked what he really wants for his birthday. The answer might surprise you.

You see, unlike most, Ian's wish list doesn't involve the latest tech toy or "Vampire Diaries" season one DVD (that sounds more like our list...). Instead, all he's asking for is a donation to the Ian Somerhalder Foundation.

"Material-wise, I don't need anything, except my health, my family and this foundation to start giving. Literally, that's the only thing," Ian told Hollywood Crush, adding that he's been interested in philanthropic efforts since he was a kid.

Ian's foundation focuses on habitat (including bio-diversity, research on oral sterilization of animals and animal rescue), clean energy and education.

"It's really simple, and it's really exciting because it's just getting people engaged and re-engaged in their community." He also said that helping young people understand the current stakes is a big part of the foundation's goals.

"There's a huge educational component. Most of the foundation is what that's about, empowering youth to understand that you know, half of the species are going to be extinct in 50 years and they can change that."

Ian hopes that donations will further the foundation's goals.

"I'm just asking people to help me with this because I know it's a tough time right now, but the reality of it is that I'm putting all my eggs in this basket because what this foundation is going to do is literally make things better, and that's all that matters to me right now."

In fact, Ian said the best moment of the past year for him was when he signed and sent all the paperwork to get his foundation off the ground.

"It was the coolest thing because it's something I've always wanted to do, and I could never do it. I never had the resources, I never had the ability. And that is now. It just doesn't get any better."

As for celebrations on the set of "Vampire Diaries," where he was headed during our call...well, let's just say he wasn't sure about cake-cutting, especially since he had other things on his mind.

"I know I'm going to be naked in the shower. I'm naked in the shower in about an hour, and Damon's taking a bubble bath with candlelight and a glass of wine at the end of the episode."

We'll give you a second to let that sink in.

Ian wouldn't say whether he was alone or had a bathtime buddy, but he did give us some delicious "Vampire Diaries" scoop on tomorrow's episode, Damon's relationship with Elena and the werewolves coming to town. Stay tuned to Hollywood Crush for those tidbits!

SOURCE